Sunday, September 13, 2015

BNE @ the Movies, all for $6, yeah you heard me, $6!


So if you've been getting my Flashing off the Record chart names I have been in Brisbane the last few days and caught a record 4 films in 3 days. Alright so one BIG ass Movie post, here goes team. Apologies for the delay and absence this week, it's been a big week right. So let's kick off this thing with my first film AMERICAN ULTRA.

Not the first film I would have chosen to see in my movie marathon week, but hey what the fuck.



Jesse Eisenberg and the cranky old bag Kristen Stewart team up for this stoner action film with a difference. Connie Britton and Bill Pullman also help out as does the wonderful Tony Hale from Veep. This film was random but I enjoyed aspects of it and it also did not outstay it's welcome.

A film keeping to a decent running time is a miracle in 2015, everyone seems to think three hours is acceptable, well guess what, it's not!

Ok so the first film in my massive weekend of movies gets a solid but only just passing 2.5 Stars, it had something but lacked something, I can't put my finger on it, but I really did enjoy this for the most part.

Next up MAZE RUNNER: THE SCORCH TRIALS.



Staying in the action/adventure genre it is the second film in the Maze Runner trilogy and back in 2014 (well only last year) I remember mostly enjoying the first film in the series. I am enjoying the series more as I write this as I have read the third and final book will only be one film and not two like the other cash grabbers out there.

This film at the start confused me as I sort of forgot how the first film wrapped. However this Teen action film really kept my interest, it wasn't great by any means by it was a lot of fun.

Ki Hong Lee is kind of cute too, but the rest of the cast are a little blah.

Overal I will give Maze Runner another pass mark of 2.5 Stars for this new release.

Third dil from my double feature yesterday the music film of 2015, yes I am calling it now, STRAIGHT OUTTA COMPTON.



NWA where ahead of their times, I love music and I love hip hop music. Kendrick Lamar is currently killing it at present with political inspired and deep lyrics but NWA paved the path for the Kendrick Lamar's of today.

So I bitched about long films above however I LOVED all 147 minutes of this wonderful film. Being a huge music lover, seeing the story of this group of highly talented musicians unfold was so amazing. Dr Dre, Ice Cube, MC Ren, Easy-E, DJ Yella & Arabian Prince all featured along with a bit on the side of 2PAC & Snoop, this was just amazing.

For all the swearing, naked ladies and gangster shit, I just left the cinema wanting to listen to "Fuck tha Police" and "Express Yourself" again.

This movie stands for something, it stands for a lot, it's been a MASSIVE box office smash in the USA, it's been critical praised and along with the new release from Dr. Dre, his Compton record (not an official soundtrack but a new release from Dr Dre) and other albums associated to this group and this solo acts have also been racing up the charts.

I can't flaw much of this film, some however was a bit dramatic Empire style but overall, just heaven and easy to watch, 4.75 Stars. GREAT stuff.

Last up THE MAN FROM U.N.C.L.E, this has been out for a while and I wanted to see it but just never got around to it, so catch up time.



Henry Cavil was sex on legs and Armie Hammer (fresh from his flop The Lone Ranger) were great in the US/Russian spy film. The two leading ladies were also brilliant and on point in this film. The fashion was outstanding and the Guy Ritchie direction, production and screen play was amazing.

This came out at a rough time coming up against the latest Mission Impossible film and you have to ask yourself how many spy films can be out in the marketplace. Not two but this was better than the recent Mission Impossible film. I did really enjoy all the good dialogue in this film and really if you get a chance see this beautiful looking film on the big screen.

4 Spy Stars.

No comments: