Wednesday, September 9, 2015

I'm not Religious BUT...


I say a musical last night that made me think, is what I do for eight hours a day, five times a week worthwhile, after leaving at interval thinking did I just leave 1950 back at the Opera House Musicals are just not my thang.

Not only has this musical dated, lame and down right dull but it was the audience, one of those Opening Night audiences that makes you cringe. The fake laughter (kind of like canned laughter on US sitcoms), the darlings "Oh hello darling, how funny seeing you here", the air kisses the cheap wine. Well let me tell you I have seen my fair share of shows but really I took last night as a sign.

A sign that a new direction is coming for me soon.

When I looked around as I left at interval and overheard all the fake chatter I realised that my love is music, new music, music festivals and most importantly relevant new music with a message. Kendrick Lamar, the Weeknd, Florence and the Machine, Tame Impala, Hermitude, Airling, FKA Twigs, Robyn amongst all my other favourite current artists all have something to say.

Kendrick is pushing boundaries with his lyrics, FKA Twigs is changing the face of the music video, Tame Impala are just plain killing it on a Global level and The Weeknd is making people sexual active again. The Musical I saw last night made me wish time to pass so fast that I could be home and in bed in Star Wars light speed time.

Depressing as it is realising 40 hours a week could be spent on something more beneficial for society and my global friends. So today marks an exciting new chapter in my life, my love of music is strong, my love of all things creative is stronger than ever and don't get me wrong new works, plays (especially the STC one next year with Rose Byrne, yes motherfuckers ROSE BYRNE) and dance all excite me. It's remakes, revivals, old stale and dull works are just not for me, sorry world but it's 2015 (I know in Australia Abbott would like to think it's 1950) and it's time to move forward (thanks Julia G for that one) and challenge ourselves, get creative, take a leaf out of Netflix, HBO and Showtime's book be bold, be different and challenge viewers/audience members.

To the Musical last night, thanks for making me realise that life is great and should be celebrated, our past is our past and sometimes should be kept in the past. History repeats itself (particularly after a bad meal) but there is some much room right now for good new works, musically, on the stage and on the screen, let's get creative.

No comments: