Sunday, June 9, 2013

Reaction - Triple J's Hottest 100 of the Last 20 Years {Part Two}


So I neglected to mention what caused controversy recently on one of their all time style countdowns and that was the lack of female representation. Now this comes as a surprise to me as Triple J gives heaps of ladies a BIG leg up, Missy Higgins, Killing Heidi, Asta and more Unearthed finds plus your standard Sarah Blasko's, Katy Steele, Holly Throsby, Sally Seltmann and loads of international ladies like Laura Marling and Ani di Franco.

So it was only the high 90's that saw solo ladies feature with:


99 - Lana Del Rey - Video Games

97 - M.I.A. - Paper Planes

Julia Stone turned up @ 81 with Angus Stone but it was the heavily featured Angus song that took out the 81 spot. Also with boy/girl combos, Janet from Spiderbait lost out to Kram on their massive hit "Buy Me a Pony".


I digress, where were all the ladies @? Anyway let's look at where 50-1 took us on this June Queen's Birthday Long Weekend:


Hooray Florence Welch a recent champion of tunes made it in with their hit "Dog Days are Over" @ 49, the rest of the 40's were mostly male and mostly tunes you would find on Triple M. Pearl Jam, The Offspring and Coldplay helped make up this ten as this was the first of the Broadcast I heard and again like all his shifts the Doctor just seems dated and dead in the water. For a while now he has been an unpopular announcer on the J's but I really think it's now time to go Lindsay McDougall.


Yay in the 30's there were two more ladies, with the Cranberries and Massive Attack's anthem "Teardrop" making the cut. The Temper Trap were the only Aussie in this ten and rock again won out with Tool & the Chili Peppers making the list.


The 20's cemented the fact that Rock might not being doing well at present but over time Rock is the winner with hits from System of a Down, Franz Ferdinand, Blur, the Living End and more Chili Peppers make up this part of the countdown.


The teens and the last leg of the countdown included my favourite Blink 182 tune "Dammit", some Goyte, more Silverchair and UK dance veterans the Prodigy killed it with "Breathe" @ 15.


The top ten and I heard some of Tom & Alex and I don't want this to be a bash Triple J announcer session but I am a little over them too. I love Lewis & Veronica on the Weekend and I think it really might be time for them to replace either the Doctor or Tom & Alex. Radio is a changing medium and with their roster remaining the same for what seems forever lately I think 2014 should be the year of change.


Now to the top ten tunes, 10,9,8 Aussie power, Powderfinger, Goyte & more Powderfinger. Well done Aussie's, and Powderfinger will always be a Hottest 100 hero. I thought "Somebody That I Used to Know" would have rated higher, it was such an anthem and also it still does well here and abroad.


@7, I never really loved the Killers so "Mr Brightside" was just like meh, another Triple M playlist favourite on the list. @6 Foo Fighters "Everlong", oh boy it was beginning to sound like Eddie McGuire's Melbourne Breakfast shows hit list @5 The Verve "Bittersweet Symphony" always had a soft spot for this song as my mum liked it, so props to you Richard Ashcroft and folk. @4 The highest ranking Aussie song from the Hilltop Hoods "Nosebleed Section". This will divide some, Aussie hip hop is loved and hated about the same ratio. So for this to be the highest Aussie song it might create Macklemore and Ryan Lewis style discussions (note NO Macklemore and Ryan Lewis songs made the Countdown - weird huh? After topping the list less than 6 months ago.).


@3 Jeff Buckley and a song murdered on now axed TV series Smash "Last Goodbye", a nice tune and a man lost way too early. I hear a movie starring a Gossip Girl favourite is in production.


@2 The White Stripes "Seven Nation Army", a song that has grown over time and also ever more important since they have now called it a day. The White Stripes and Jack White have always been darlings so this could have been a given.


@1, Now I have never liked Oasis nor those drunken English backpacking Gallegher brothers. I can just imagine all the over staying VISA English and Irish back packers in Bondi having a sing to "Wonderwall". Yeah I never had much of a connection to this song, but hey 940,000 voters can't be wrong?


Not having a racial dig at the English/Irish but doesn't it piss you off that anyone coming here in a boat is public enemy number one, but if you fly over here and just over stay a VISA this makes you a better person? One person had the funds to make their way out of a cold miserable country, one risks their life for a better life for themselves and their family. I think going forward thinking this way and worrying not about how someone got here but their reasons behind it.


End of that rant but overall my reaction to the JJJ Hottest 100 of the last 20 Years, I could have been listening to MMM for the last part of the countdown and I found the lack of diversity a bit overwhelming. I just hope this list doesn't effect their regular playlist so it goes from indie/dance/hip hop/rock/party times to cock rock.

No comments: