Sunday, May 20, 2012

On the Bus - King Street, Newtown...


Sometimes being a passenger and not a walker along one of Sydney's busiest strips you notice so much more and take in a totally different point of view.

King Street, Newtown is one of the most interesting streets and destinations in Sydney's Inner West.  It is a journey and a destination you get to after the City Road run and you've left Broadway for dust.

King Street starts off like a Uni student hot spot and then moves into hotel, restaurants, Thai Town, random clothe stalls and a for lease district that changes more often than a hookers panties.

King Street by my selected soundtrack of Kate Miller-Heidke's wonderful new disc "Nightflight" it's a wonderful disc which is really growing on me and totally set the mood as the bus moved at a snails pace up the busy and bustling street.



I don't know how many times since my time in Sydney have I walked this street and how many restaurants I have been to which are now long gone.  The changes this street goes through are sometimes major and sometimes brief.  The CD stores have been reduced from three to one with Hum winning the war.  The Dendy is getting a major upgrade and last night Thai Pothong was as busy as ever and with around 6 birthday parties held there including the one I was at this Thai restaurant still has the crown in Newtown.


The people in Newtown and particularly King Street always interest me.  It has gone from the indie end of town to the new Gay Town to the Uni hang out, to now anything goes and the with the real estate prices as insane as ever it's becoming a trendy new and more indie version of Balmain.

I loved my trip to Newtown on the bus on a Saturday, people watching, seeing how Sydney changes and how I have no idea why Today Tonight and A Current Affair constantly say no one has or is spending any money when everyone is out dropping major coin on food, wine and god knows what else.

So if you feel like a bus trip and a awesome soundtrack, look no further:



Can Kate Miller be my album of the year, I only have one nomination so far and being almost the mid year mark and tax time, I smell another nomination soon, stay tuned.

A quick week in review, tomorrow night FAT SWAN, Tuesday it's time to Cream with PRINCE & maybe even some surprises along the way, until then see y'all.....

No comments: