Saturday, September 13, 2014

Film Freak 2014 - Felony


Released originally at the Toronto International Film Festival, Australian thriller Felony starring and written by the extremely talented Joel Edgerton is now screening at selected cinemas and selected screenings. Yes it's down to the dire screening times, i.e. 10am and 9pm.



I'm always banging on about Australian films getting the raw end of the stick for screenings but after a few weeks out this film has done OK in comparison to recent Aussie outings.

Now to the film, to be honest I left the cinema feeling like "What?", the characters were all largely unlikable (except at time Jai Courtney - who is not only handsome as fuck but tries his best to do right) but I also felt this film had a lot of potential it didn't use.

Joel Edgerton is one of the kings of Aussie cinema and I just felt like this film and it's ending where just missing something. Melissa George added little as her role as Edgerton's wife and after major international roles (and more to come) Jai Courtney was the most easy on eye and best in this film.

The ending like some of the film's plot points felt rushed (and nothing in this film was a rush - it was long) and a little incomplete.

I have to say it is not one of my favourite films of this year thus far and I won't do a David & Margaret by marking up this film, I can only manage a two star rating for this Aussie Feature.

No comments: