Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Beautiful Bali One Day, Horror Island the Next


I am back and safe and sound from a whirl wind and last minute trip to Bali. As I left my unit block on Saturday AM a neighbour looked at me when I told her of my travel plans she was like "bad timing hey, it's not somewhere where I would want to be" and really with their corrupt government and legal system nor would I normally.

However everyday Balinese and Indonesians alike are genuinely some of the most lovely people you will come across. The Tourist V Local thing was on the rise more than my last two visits and visiting in low season, you can tell when times get tough for tourism the locals really suffer. And after tomorrow AM I think the tourist trade will slow up even more.

To be honest if the executions of rehabilitated drug smugglers from the Bali Nine happen I will actually have to think twice about returning. It's not that I think the two deserve freedom and not to pay for their crimes but I feel the death penalty is too harsh for almost every crime. What will fellow low down the line drug smugglers learn from this? That you will be made an example of and no one who is actually running the drugs in Asia will ever be brought to justice.

We have all made mistakes and some are worse than others (I assume people at the AFP who tipped off the Indonesians would not be feeling to great today) but we all learn from mistakes. We are all human and as humans we make bad decisions, bad choices lead to errors and sometimes desperate measures result in extremely horrible consequences.

AFP don't get me wrong I am HARD LINE on drugs, I have lost friends to parting into the 30's where the 20's were a constant drug binge. I have no time for drugs and value what I put into my body. I dislike drinking and even more so drugs aren't just bad, they are fucked up.

No research is available for long term abuse of drugs but once it is I think eduction is key and Australian politicians (both sides), Police, Schools and Learning Institutions need to instil into the Stereosonic going crowds that getting fucked up on the weekends has long term mental and health issues and short term gains for cowards who are watching poor kids down the drug trade line murdered (yes I am using this term as a 12 man firing squad is just plain evil) in foreign countries for their financial gain.

So next time you buy a pill remember you are helping some rich fat C get rich whilst preying on poor people like Mary Jane Veloso who will leave her two young children motherless if she is not shown mercy.

So I am in line with everyone who says drugs are bad, they are but educate people on why they are, and what it means to them and people in third world countries who try anything to provide their family with a better life.

Today is truly tragic and like a heroine addict myself I am constantly checking news services online and on ABC News 24.

As much as I had a truly wonderful weekend free of Anzac parades and Two Up, I have to say it was always on my mind the sadness facing the nine families who may lose, a mother, a son, a new husband, a brother, an uncle, a friend, a co worker.

Shame on you Indonesia, you can not ask for clemency of your own citizens and not respect other countries of the same request. This is not acceptable and for fucks sake it's 2015, life is gift and  so help me if anyone complains about small things (1st world problems this week), you may have a large lecture incoming.

No comments: