Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Is it un Australian to say Anzac Day is being over exposed this year?


And let's not mention the decision for there to be no public holiday....

But in all seriousness TV is saturated this year with Anzac coverage, see link here with ratings and a 50% drop off when Anzac programming commences. TV, newspapers, radio have all gone wall to wall for the entire week. Even my beloved Triple J's Hack program has donated the entire week to Anzac Day.

I do feel we should honour past soldiers yes, but is this the only thing happening in the world? Is this the biggest and most important news item right now? Australia needs to look forward and plan for the future, keeping just one foot ahead all the time and keeping to conservative and traditional values can only last for so long.

Unfortunately (for some) change is inevitable (look at the internet and technology - hello the piracy debate) and progressive governments are what is required. Or we need Labor and Liberal folk to talk. I know in 2015 actually talk, not snap chat, not FB private message, or tweet, sit down, grab a coffee (I'll have a soy latte thanks) and discuss, plan and meet each other halfway.

This country COULD be great, we have wonderful people, people from all walks of life, people with all different religions, beliefs, values and lifestyles. If we were all Andrew Bolt and the same, life would be pretty fucked. I mean if Reclaim Australia became an actual thing then I would seriously consider leaving Australia. I love people of all races, religions, gender, sexuality and belief systems. I was brought up to treat people the way I would like to be treated, it has always worked for me and I call on the parents of Australia to teach some patience, respect and if you want to get all religious, love thy neighbour. Be it if they are Muslim, Christian or don't believe in anything.

No comments: