Tuesday, December 29, 2015

DVD Classic: This Is Where I Leave You


Do you know that moment when you put a movie on and realise, have I actually seen this already? That's the feeling I had when I rented (yes I'm old) This is Where I Leave You, a family drama instant classic from last year (2014).

Yes a movie a classic from only one year ago, hell yes.

Starring an all star cast including my personal favourite Rose Byrne, Jason Bateman, Jane Fonda (pure brilliance over the last few years, what a comeback), Tina Fey, Adam Driver (Stars Wars: the Force Awakens IT guy), Connie Britton and loads more awesome talent.

This is Where I Leave You is a truly great tale of a family who lose their Father/Husband and it is just a sublime holiday treat. Sometimes a dysfunctional family drama can be amazing and sometimes it can fall flat on it's dysfunctional ass, this is the first an amazing and fun look at how families deal with grief, loss and change over the years.

I have always loved Rose Byrne but Jane Fonda as the supreme mother in this film is particularly wonderful. She is being praised for her performance in the Boxing Day (limited, VERY limited release Boxing Day film, indie cinemas only) Youth, recently TV wise in The Newsroom she was brilliant and now on the Netflix comedy Grace & Frankie Fonda shines. Still to come is season two of Grace & Frankie (it has also been renewed for a third season despite the second even starting), and film wise Fonda has another two on the way. For a 78 year old she is having a great time entertaining us the audience.

Jason Bateman is so hit and miss it's good to see him in a hit. He was great in my Jump Out of the Seat film The Gift this past year and then on the flip side dreadful in Bad Words and Horrible Bosses 2.

So if you have a moment over this Post Christmas/Pre New Years period, give this one a red hot go.

No comments: