Monday, December 28, 2015

Orange is the New Black | Season 3


Joining the cast this year (Season 3) is Ruby Rose, Australia represent! This series aired on Netflix in it's entirety around June this year, it's now December and in that no mans land period of post Christmas Pre New Years Eve, so what the hell Netflix let's give this lady jail comedy-drama another go.

I was not a huge fan of Season 2, Wentworth in Australia also airs around the same time and two lady prison shows at once is a bit much. It's kind of like Devious Maids and Mistresses in the US, you can only do some much Camp Drama (a new genre) in one week.

The thing about Orange is the New Black is the show has so many characters and so much going on it's hard for a big TV nerd like me to catch up and follow on. With no series two recap at the start of episode one I found myself on Wikipedia looking up hints as to where season two wrapped up.

Season two aired all the way back in June 6, 2014 so commencing this around December 2015 and in the nature of Netflix pure binge of all 13 episodes in one go that wraps up almost 18 months since watching the last series.

In between that 18 months I have smashed a fuck load of good/bad and super average TV. I almost need to do a Best of TV list like my previous best of movies list below.

So Orange is the New Black, does it deserve a fourth season? Which has already been renewed by the TV/entertainment giant Netflix. I am not sure, the first series was great, it was an instant Netflix hit like House of Cards. Like House of Cards, OITNB also has a cult following (mostly lesbians) and is always worked into pop culture discussions. Some Netflix shows like this have become such cult favourites almost overnight and created their own brand.

This is the strength of Netflix creating household names within their own household name brand.

As I am only up to episode 7 I cannot comment on all 13 episodes however I do hope to be done before New Years Eve/Day.

Next up I hope to catch up with Girlfriends Guide to Divorce which like Mistresses and Devious Maids seems to be in the Camp Drama genre.

Until then Happy Holidays and all the best for 2016 you crazy kids xo

No comments: