Tuesday, February 24, 2015

#I'mNotDavidNorMargaret, Film Reviews My Way 2015


It didn't really win any Oscars (other than the Best Original Song by Common & John Legend) but SELMA really packs a punch.

The violence was rough and raw and the story was horrifying that only a few decades ago America was in such a bad way. How racial laws could be so backwards and how acceptance was such a long way off. I guess as an Australian we don't have a clean record either with our horrid treatment of the Aboriginals.



David Owelowo is great as King and I do love a real life story these days and to be honest there were moments of Selma like Foxcatcher where it all felt a little drawn out. There was a lot to cover and at times you jumped weeks and at times there appeared to be not a lot happening playing out on the screen in front of you.

Don't get me wrong I enjoyed the movie, hated the violence and thought fucking hell I love seeing a conservative government look like complete fools. I'm sorry conservative folk out there CHANGE and PROGRESS is inevitable, you can bang on about beliefs and values and core issues but I'm telling you, you can't fight change.

This movie made me realise why conservatives generally lose. The Alabama Governor in real life and how he was portrayed in this film should be ashamed of himself. All humans, black, white or whatever are all the same deep down. Mr Abbott and his latest statements should also know this.

Marginalising minorities may appeal to the small minded however the educated and inner city dwellers know this is joust covering up the fact you have NOTHING else to sell. Like a budget from almost a year ago.

Ok I have gone way off track. Selma it's worth a look in and interesting to see how history unfortunately repeats itself. Unfortunately in 2015 conservatives are live and kicking and spreading hate hidden in their agendas.

Selma rates a solid 3.5 Stars.  

No comments: