Monday, October 1, 2012

Long Weekend Bloggin' - PART FOUR {PARKLIFE}


It's been sometime since my last music festival, maybe December last year when I was less than impressed by Homebake.  Parklife was a different kettle of fish, the crowd was very different to a Homebake crowd, the artists mainly dance/pop & the venue the sunny but cool in the shade Centennial Park.

I ended up seeing one of my new favourite acts Charli XCX sing her two hits "Nuclear Seasons" & "You're the One" before the weather started to cool right down.



Next on my viewing/listening radar was Wiley who I saw back when "Wearing my Rolex" landed on Australian radio and he played the Metro Theatre to no joke 25 people. He seemed slightly more popular yesterday in the fading sun however I found him only playing 6 songs a little poor.  The highlights were "Wearing my Rolex" and the new hit "Heatwave".  Oh well Wiley you at least played to more than 25 people this time around in Sydney.



Oh I almost I took in a bit more UK Hip Hop/Rap before Wiley it was Plan B and between the covers etc he performed I heard live a song that gives a bit of a kick on the radio but live, WELL "Ill Manors" great work Plan B.



Then it was time for some NERO also from the UK (wow I was really giving home grown talent a go yesterday) and they did for the large part disappoint.  It was only until the four singles kicked in at the end that it was worth sitting in the now freezing Centennial Park, can I hear a FUCK OFF Winter!

"Promises", "Crush on You", "Must be the Feeling" and "Me and You" were all ace, it kinda made up for the dull start to their set, however I did leave thinking gosh all there songs sound the same.



Then we took in some Justice DJ set and by this time it was really like hurry up Robyn, with four layers on this festival is killing me.  Mind you most of the younger (than me) crowd were in another realm it didn't seem to faze them.  Gosh I had never seen so many sniffer dogs before.

As it was also time for Robyn to grace the stage we took in the last Passion Pit number "Little Secrets" before another 30 minute for Robyn, by 9pm I expected snow, Sydney put on a freezing cold night when it could have easily been the middle of July.

By now Robyn came out and oh boy she actually made it worth the while!  She started with a mash up of two tunes, "We Dance to the Beat" / "Don't Fucking Tell Me What to Do", then a wee sing along with "Fembot", an oldie "Cobrastyle" and then the moment of the day "Dancing on My Own", the crowd was singing and dancing like freaks to this mini Swedish pop princess.



The sing a longs continued with "Indestructible" and then the cold became too much and as we left the park lands "Be Mine!" was in full swing.  Robyn was clearly the highlight of a day of ups and downs and a strange vibe at a festival.  Maybe if it was in November and warmer and all the girls didn't wear the same shorts where butt cheeks, tampon strings and pubic hair where visible it might have been a more amazing day.

As we made the pilgrimage out of the park we heard Robyn doing a stellar cut "Call Your Girlfriend" and the Presets from a far doing an old tune medley (as there new album is clearly not that great) "If I know You" & "Are You the One?"



So for Robyn and for all the music lovers out there Parklife, was it a sign music festivals really are on the way out or should all festivals just be in the warmer months either way the people selling the Parklife hoodies would have definitely made a rather big pay day yesterday.

Robyn (yes she is a queen) and Parklife rate 4 stars (3.75 of these stars belong to Ms Robyn).

No comments: