Saturday, October 31, 2015

#I'mNotDavidNorMargaret, Film Reviews My Way 2015


Could this be a breakthrough Australian film? THE DRESSMAKER is one of the most interesting and out there Australian films I have seen in years. Nice to also see young Kate Winslet giving an Australian film a crack too. Aside from Kate it's an all star Australian cast with Judy Davis playing Mad Molly Winslet's mother, Liam Hemsworth playing the sexy eye candy, Sarah Snook just showing us she is EVERYWHERE right now, Rebecca Gibney (for all the Packed to the Rafters fans) , Hugo Weaving, Barry Otto, Alison Whyte, Gyton Grantly, Genevieve Lemon and a cast of thousands more stars from the big screen, stage and small screen.



Did you spot them all in the trailer?

So the film starts well enough, is rather funny, super quirky and then shouldn't takes a dark turn and remains dark once that turn has been made. The huge cast are all wonderful and all highly animated. It comes from the team of Muriel's Wedding and Mental and it does all work (much more so than Mental) and I think in years to come this could be an Australian film we all look back on and think wow what an achievement.

Me and my two lady friends all enjoyed the film but once it went dark it really changed the light hearted start of the film. I did however miss the very start for he film which I generally hate with a passion however it all seemed like a simple set up of Kate returning to her small Aussie rural town and the town folk having rather small minds and in the theme of the Daily Telegraph headlines people believing in fear and authority fears when if you dig a little deeper the story is much simpler and less evil.

So back to the film, I enjoyed this and believe this will clean up at the AACTA Awards next year. Here are this years nominees and I will go over these and pick my winners based on what I believe are the real winner soon, so hold tight please. Now actually back to the film, the film went by super quick and I enjoyed all the crazy, but the dark turn will turn off some members in the audience. Speaking of which for an Aussie film and an opening night (first day open) it was well attended for an Aussie picture.

The Dressmaker it was the first of two Aussie films I took in this week (Alex & Eve review - tomorrow) and I am proud this country is making some fun and well told stories. The Dressmaker rates a solid and camp 4 Stars.

No comments: