Sunday, October 25, 2015

Joel Creasey & Gen Fricker ARE..


Both extremely different but highly amusing, Joel delivers a great story about Celine Dion in Vegas whilst Gen brings a couple of comedy songs to the stage.

I was lucky enough to check out the Just for Laughs stand up series at an extremely busy Opera House this Friday gone.Not only was their loads of Just for Laughs on but Velvet and STC had shows on downstairs, Anything Goes was boring the pants of the audience in the Opera Theatre and no doubt something else was in the concert hall. Oh yes it was Russell Brand excuse me.

Just For Laughs is at a perfect time of the year, Melbourne Cup is coming, Christmas is coming and people are totally on the fucking edge. Sydney Comedy Festival is also at a good time, around Easter, a round of School Holidays and when people realise fuck it's a new year and there are limited public holidays on the way.

Back to Joel and Gen. I have seen Joel a while back, I have heard Gen on Triple J weekend breakfast and once filling in normal breakfast. Don't get me wrong she is good on the radio but better when paired with another co host.

Solo on stage she is so tiny and so cute that comedy really doesn't seem to be the place for her, but after a bit she warms up and is more impressive than two of the other comedians on this night. For Gen she was the only lady with Joel joined by three other comedians (notably Ivan Aristeguieta - who now calls Australia home after relocating from Venezuela) and a male MC.

So Gen did well for the Girl Power element of the night. Look she is no Amy Schumer and I mean really who is, she is fucking tops and no one can talk about ladies intimates like she can. I feel mean comparing her to Amy but even with Joel it's like we already have Josh Thomas, Tom Ballard on the gay blonde comedy scene and Rhys Nicholson slays it with the gay card too.

So comedy will always have you the audience drawing comparisons to other comedians who address similar issues.

Gen I did love you, playing a musical instrument, being dumped and being super cute all at once, loved it. Also like the fact you kill it on Triple J and not NOVA or one of the other irritating commercial networks.

Joel and his Celine story really had the room in stitches, like gay or not Celine Dion is a fucking funny subject manner. Joel did ask and insist that all gays like Celine, but honey boo boo do I have news for you, I can't bare that witch, give me Azealia Banks, Banks (for that matter while I am on singers with Banks in their titles), Florence Welch (Florence + the Machine) anyway over Celine on my iPOD. I cannot stand the whole you are gay you must like:

Kylie
Madonna
Lady Gaga
Celine Dion
Barbara Streisand (well I like the DuckSauce song but that is it!)

or fucking Whitney Houston. BORING!

But Joel did kill it, his story he had to stop a number of times due to people just losing it. Joel is confident, infectious and despite his turn on I'm a Celebrity Get Me Outta Here he is not too clapped out yet.

Joel I am very proud and want to see you live again. Gen keep at it kid, you're great and a nice friendly voice to hear early mornings (weekdays or weekends) on Triple J.

Next Stop the MOVIES.

No comments: