Saturday, June 23, 2012

A night @ the Theatre - Old Man - Belvoir Street!


Described online as:

Old Man is Matt Whittet’s extraordinary play about fathers and sons, love and loss, kindness and Newtown. It is a beautiful and shockingly simple tale in two parts, which asks if it is possible to wake up one day and make good-enough better.


It is also stated as being 72 minutes, now when I see 72 minutes I think, easy just over 1 hour and no interval so this will be an easy show, sounds interesting enough, I liked Alison Bell on ABC TV's "Laid".  Well I feel like I am winding up, cause this felt like a three hour theatre marathon. 
 
It starts in an order manner and it finally kicks in around 30 minutes in and by then I am already thinking about what washing up I have to do at home, where I will have lunch tomorrow or why on Earth is Nurse Jackie renewed for a fifth season, the fourth season was as boring as..... well this play.
 
I feel now I need to be kept amused, you have a small window really, if you don't grab me, I am off with the fairies (and I'm not talking Sookie Stackhouse!) and have completely left the building.  I was so far away from the Surry Hills bunker of Belvoir Street last night it was not funny.
 
This is one of those nice Belvoir shows, which is nice though, no deaths, no guns, not too much language either (not that this old girl doesn't mind a good C bomb).
 
So I have to give Old Man which season has been extended now until my birthday hooray! a lonely 2 stars, as I just didn't connect even though I though there was nice performances and it was nice, but nice always finish last.  For more info on Old Man....

No comments: