Tuesday, June 12, 2012

NU MUSIC - Lex Hives | The Hives Review‏


Come On chants the one minute opener on the Hives 5th studio album live and direct from Sweden. I remember discovering the Hives as I finished High School and enjoyed singing the tune "Hate to Say I Told You So", to people who I never wished to seeing again. Now the year 2012 and the Hives have delivered an album with a similar stomping nature, the first single "Go Right Ahead" on this tune, is a pub sing a long with balls. Over the years the Hives have worked with a number of producers and even stepped a little bit into the world of hip hop appearing on the Timbaland LP "Shock Value" and also the Neptunes have stepped into produce a couple of tracks along the ride.

After six minutes of listening to this you are already half way through the third tune and you know this album is not going to let up on the pace it set off from the get go. "1,000 Answers" is a perfect song it's 2:07 (almost the timing of a Bleeding Knees Club tune) and it's got a rough edge but with such polished production.

"Wait a Minute" again is another pop rock sing a long which I could so see being the next single, "Patrolling Days" felt like an extended club mix of a Hives tune as this baby clocks in over 4 minutes. In my experience with the album so far it's the short, sharp, punchy songs that work the best.

"These Spectacles Reveal the Nostalgics" is one of my highlights from the album as it standouts, with rock not being my favourite genre listening to an album in full, I find some songs just stand out and demand a bit of attention and on this disc this tune and "Go Right Ahead" are the real ball breakers and tunes that command your attention and I could totally imagine doing a spin class at the gym to this rock friendly gems. "Midnight Shifter" was in my way the perfect way to close of the album and at around 30 minutes of rock n roll, I think the Hives do not over stay there welcome. I reckon if this album packed some fillers it would become a bit dull, but with all mostly killer 2/3 minute rock jams this album works and with their long stay in the industry thus far I predict some more Swedish rock coming our way.



Want the album grab it here.

No comments: